Once upon the March of 2017 I was sitting home with the heavy cold caught. I was very sick and couldn’t do anything useful, so I was entertaining myself with YouTube watching. Before this I had been watching only speed paints or drawing tutorials or music videos, bus this time I have accidentally stumbled upon authortube channels and they blew up my mind in a good way. This is how I have discovered the world of self-publishing and indie authors. I mean I knew this things exist, but I’ve never got into the depth of it.
- The first channel which has impressed me a lot was The creative Penn by Joanna Penn – she is gorgeous really admire this women she has series of podcasts/videos which are aimed at helping people with their indie author career and dealing with self-doubt and so on. Her channel has lots lots of useful advises and tips on self-publishing and living creative life and writing. I`ve found there an interview with coloring book author which motivated me to try.
- The second channel which helped me to start moving forward is Bruce Jones’s channel. Where I’ve found something very interesting about coloring books self-publishing with the Createspace.
Thanks to these two YouTube channels I have decided to give it a try to make my own coloring book. Also, I need to mention that I am not an English-speaking person – it is difficult for me to understand accents or when the sound is not clear enough, but I have no difficulties understanding these persons’ speeches, which is great. This is how I live in the small Siberian town got the possibility to self-publish two coloring books with the Amazon Create Space. Could I imagine that this thing is actually really possible before? No, I couldn’t. In fact, I have a very time-consuming daily job and it is not over after I leave the office, I have to take my working laptop with me and continue working from home… In the normal condition, I would hardly allow myself to spend so many time on youtube, but when I was ill and sitting at home for the whole month I think I have used this time wisely for self-education sort of. ^_^
After all, this happened, I have discovered many more interesting and inspiring youtube channels which I’d recommend to watch people who want to get inspired or motivated or have fun because the ladies I`m going to talk about are have very bright personalities. here they are:
- Writing Excuses podcast is the best of the best.
- Jenna Moreci – my absolutely favorite authortube channel – she is great and I love her =D Lots of tips for aspiring authors and she is so freaking funny. I am not writing books – I’m actually drawing comics and illustrations but it makes no difference when it comes to storytelling, character development, world building, outlining and so on. General rules are the same for all kinds of stories.
- ShaelinWrites very informative channel hosted by the lovely girl studying creative writing course at the University.
- Positive and pretty channel by the author and English teacher Kim Chance which I find again very useful as she sometimes explains English language rules and gives story-telling advises.
- My mangaka life is very funny inspiring and helpful channel by manga-artist watching which I enjoy a lot.
- Happy D. Artist channel is hosted by the talented artist given up on her office job and living artist dream life drawing her paintings. I am not a fan of oil-paintings but she has a lot of important information to share with artists and both drawing and being self-employed tips.
- And the last link I want to share here is This video by Texan in Tokyo. That whole channel is not dedicated to being an author or creator, and unfortunately it is not active anymore…but this video helped me a lot to understand the createspace publishing process.
- Brilliant storehouse of information podcast titled “thebestsellerexperiment” by two Marks with a great sence of humor which I am currently listening.
Here is all I`ve got for today. I am very thankful to all the above mentioned people for sharing their knowledges with the World. Some of them inspire and motivate to take actions in your creative journey, some of them give tips, tricks and advises to make this journey easy and all of them bring a lot of positivity. And, probably no one of them have an idea that some russian girl on the opposite side of the globe making her books taking their advice into consideration =D